Friday, January 8, 2021

Best Books of 2020

Best Books: The 2020 Edition

This has truly been a very heavy year and the books that were released for children reflect this. I found many of this year's books to be agenda laden and, although I think it is important to introduce these issues to children, I did not pick my favorites based on the current trends. I picked my three favorite books in each category that I either felt were really well written or that I simply enjoyed the most.

Picture Books:

My Best Friend by Julie Fogliano, Illustrated by Jillian Tamaki

Fogliano has the ability to write like children think. This book brought me back to childhood and making a new friend in the park. It made me smile!



Nana Akua Goes to School by Tricia Elam Walker, Illustrated by April Harrison

I found this story to be very moving and the illustrations are beautiful, making it a true winner.

One Little Bag: An Amazing Journey
by Henry Cole

This was a book I poured over. Henry Cole is an amazing illustrator and his books always blow my mind! And yes, as a committed bag-reuser, I did appreciate the environmental message.




Graphic Novels:

Witches of Brooklyn by Sophie Escabasse

Witches, Brooklyn, an orphan, original and clean illustrations. What's not to love? Slightly creepy and very funny plot-driven graphic novel with quirky characters.



Shirley and Jamila Save Their Summer
by Gillian Goerz

These ladies proved to be my favorite new characters in graphic novels this year. The mystery adds interest and hints at more titles to come.







Displacement by Kiku Hughes

I love time travel and found this title to be both entertaining and emotional. This was also a favorite of my ten-year-old niece, proving the read-ability of the title.







Middle Grade:

Echo Mountain by Lauren Wolk

Probably my favorite middle grade novel of the year. Great historical fiction and mystery equal to the author's other favorite of mine: Wolf Hollow.

The One and Only Bob by Katherine Applegate

Funnier than the author's Newbery winning One and Only Ivan, in which this book follows. Who couldn't use a good laugh this year?




From the Desk of Zoe Washington by Janae Marks

Kids will relate to Zoe, who loves to bake, yet needs to solve a mystery to prove that her jailed father is innocent.




Teen Titles:
Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo

My favorite teen book of the year, I became very swept up in the story and appreciate the author's tight writing.




Red Hood by Elana Arnold

A dark retake on a classic fairytale, beautifully written, gets a feminist twist.




We Are Not From Here by Jenny Torres Sanchez

I found myself very caught up in this breath-taking adventure to the boarder with all its twists and turns and found it hard to put this book down I was so worried about it's characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment