Wednesday, February 10, 2021

The Secret Garden

The Secret Garden
Frances Hodgson Burnett
Frederick A. Stokes, 1911
375 Pages
Grades 4-7
Classic

Raised in India as a spoiled princess, Mary Lennox finds herself orphaned and transported to the Yorkshire countryside. Her only living relative, an uncle, is still grieving his late wife and distractedly meets Mary, only to leave England to travel the continent. To occupy herself, Mary begins to wander outside even though the weather is dreary. She makes a reluctant friend out of an old gardener and begins to play and explore. Mary's world further expands as she meets Dicken, the brother of a house maid who has a magical way with all living creatures. One lucky day Mary discovers a secret garden belonging to the former mistress and now all locked up and hidden. This is not the only secret contained within the grounds of the old manor house. Mary discovers something even bigger that will change her life forever. Meanwhile, winter turns to spring and the world comes back to life. Mary discovers the wonders and restorative powers of nature as she starts to tame her little garden and discover the delights of watching living things grow.

When times get tough books can serve as a healing balm and transport us to simpler and happier days. I have found myself rereading childhood favorites during this year of pandemic and, in the middle of what is proving to be one of the worst winters in New Jersey in years, have found the need to return to The Secret Garden. This is a book that was read to me by my mother and that I then read on my own throughout my childhood whenever I needed a lift. Something about the story is both comforting and healing. The characters are all broken and find wellness and productivity in the budding garden. It is a simple and quiet story, yet I never find it boring. Mary is not initially a likable character, yet readers will (I know I did!) identify with her and find reassurance as she becomes softer and content. Has this book stood the test of time? There is a little problem with some racist bits, primarily at the expense of the Indian folks. That wording would need to be put into a cultural context or, if read aloud, eliminated. I think that young people may be put off by the old fashioned language, yet the story is still magical. It would serve best as a family read aloud, which could ignite the love of reading and nature in its listeners, much as its did to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment