Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Best Books: The 2021 Edition

 Best Books: The 2021 Edition

Reflecting much of the unhappiness of our current world, many of the titles released in the past year were agenda-laden and heavy. Personally, I was looking for a diverting laugh in my reading. Ironically, my young readers have been reading a lot of Horror. It's just been that kind of a year! What follows are what I consider to be the best books that I read in 2021 with hopes that we find more fun, both in real life and publishing, in 2022.

Picture Books:


Milo Imagines the World
written by Matt de la Pena and Illustrated by Christian Robinson
At it's heart this is a sad story, yet Christian Robinson's characteristically colorful and happy drawings bring joy to a somber reality.

Unspeakable: The Tulsa Race Massacre
by Carole Boston Weatherford and Illustrated by Floyd Cooper
Recognizing the centennial of a terrible chapter in American history, recently deceased illustrator, Cooper, produces some of his best work. Though due to the nature of the subject matter I would never read to a group of children, I predict that this will will the 2022 Caldecott.

Watercress
written by Andrea Wang and Illustrated by Jason Chin
Chin is one of the best living illustrators of picture books. Breathtaking drawings help to tell the story of a young girl's embarrassment of an incident with her immigrant parents.

Middle Grade:


The Beatryce Prophecy
 by Kate DiCamillo
Chances are that kids won't pick this up on their own--and I'm tired of Kate DiCamillo always winning things, but she's so darn good! I loved the medieval escape, feminist message, and--yes--a few laughs.


The Genius Under the Table: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain
by Eugene Yelchin
Also little kid appeal, but an amazing book told through both text and illustrations by the author. Yelchin manages to make communist Russia relatable and funny.


Pony
by R.J. Palacio
Quite a departure from Wonder, this book was like nothing else I have ever read. Part ghost story/part western I was enchanted and on the edge of my seat all the way through.


Red, White, and Whole
by Rajani LaRocca
Beautifully written, narrative poetry captures the Indian immigrant experience of a girl who is not sure where she belongs with an ending that will shred your heart.


Teen:


Ace of Spades
by Faridah Abike-Iyimide
This suspenseful book had me on the edge of my seat and forced my jaw to literally drop in several places. Cleverly crafted, highly original, and timely in theme.
Concrete Rose
by Angie Thomas
I'm not seeing this on a lot of "best of" lists, but I loved it. Thomas tells Maverick's story (the Dad in the uber-popular The Hate You Give) nailing the voice and putting me in the story. I only hope that she goes a generation further to the 70's...
Firekeeper's Daughter
by Angeline Boulley
Clearly the best teen book of the year (in my opinion), a Ojibwe teen gets swept up in a mystery involving local murders and traditional medicine that puts her in personal danger and encourages her to embrace her identity. I couldn't put this title down.

1 comment: