Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Best Books: The 2022 Edition

Picture Books:

Knight Owl by Christopher Denise

Does Little Owl have what it takes to be a real knight? Find out in this beautiful picture book that demonstrates that you don't have to be the biggest to be the bravest. Well-crafted and humorous illustrations pop off the page and have the feel of a classic.

Lizzy and the Cloud by Terry & Eric Fan

Who hasn't fantasized about having a cloud for a pet? It certainly is my second choice (after a monkey-but that is for another day:) and I envy Lizzy her opportunity. The story is refreshingly new, yet feels timeless. The illustrations are, as always with the Fan Brothers, amazing. Interestingly enough, I also particularly enjoyed Night Lunch, written by Eric Fan, but illustrated by someone else (Dena Seiferling)

Paradise Sands by Levi Pinfold

The is by far the strangest book I read this year and I'm still not sure I fully understand it. It not only got me thinking long after I closed it's covers, but spurred a heated discussion about what it actually means among the staff in my Children's Department. Isn't that the job of all good books to get people wondering?


Middle Grade:

Little Monarchs by Jonathan Case

The only graphic novel on my list in a crowded year, this was my favorite. Dystopian, cautionary, and adventurous, this book kept surprising me and had me at the edge of my seat for the whole journey. Moreover, it tugs at the heartstrings in the best possible way. A great story that would make a thrilling movie.

Maizy Chen's Last Chance by Lisa Yee

Maizy and her single mom spend a summer in a small town with her estranged grandparents while Grandpa is dying and her grandma is trying to keep the family restaurant operational. Grandpa shares the story of his ancestors, bringing another layer to the book, resulting in a winning combination of historical fiction, adventure, mystery, within the framework of a realistic family story.

A Rovers Story by Jasmine Warga

Alternating chapters tell a Rover's point of view on a mission to Mars and that of the child of one of his creators. Warga manages to give the reader a believable and sympathetic voice to Resilience, our Rover friend, all while offering an interesting and exciting plot with character development. This book really felt like something different.

Those Kids from Fawn Creek by Erin Entrada Kelly
A new girl moves to a small town and shakes up its young inhabitants. This story from a Newbery winning author shows the importance of community, which is a big topic in kid's lit these days. I love a story with a flawed hero and this novel demonstrates the complications of growing up and fitting in.

Teens:

All My Rage by Sabaa Tahir

This National Book Award winner is well deserving of the honor. Two timelines and narrators tell the story of a young woman in an arranged marriage moving from Pakistan to the United States and her son in the present day who must try to pick up the pieces after she loses a health battle. A third storyline relates the journey of the teen's best friend, as she tries to break away from a complicated relationship with an abusive uncle. Dark, hard to read, important, and beautiful.

I Must Betray You by Ruta Sepetys

Set in Communist Romania of 1989, this dark and atmospheric novel tells the tale of a teenage boy who is blackmailed into becoming an informant. In a year where the world is watching Ukraine's war with Russia to keep its independence and freedom, this story from behind the Iron Curtain feels that much more poignant. Historical fiction at its best, the suspense and constant danger of the lives of the characters had me holding my breath.

The Life and Crimes of Hoodie Rosen by Isaac Blum

This little gem of a novel had me laughing and crying at almost the same time. I can't remember when I've been last so affected by a novel. The end of the story features a dramatic twist in both plot and mood and my heart squeezes still when I think of it now. In a world of growing antisemitism and hatred of other cultures, this is an important and all too timely story.

No comments:

Post a Comment