Monday, July 30, 2018

The Public Library

Image result for the public library dawson coverThe Public Library: a Photographic Essay
Robert Dawson
Princeton Architectural Press, 2014
191 pages
Adult
Non-Fiction

Although I do not blog about adult books EVER (and yes, I read them sometimes), I felt compelled to share this title for my 500th blog post. Recommended by a patron, I thought this book sounded interesting since I am interested in libraries, architecture, and photography. It turns out to be my new favorite book, validating why I went into this business to begin with. Dawson offers a love letter to public libraries in both words and images. A professional photographer, he spent many years visiting and taking pictures of interesting libraries from all over the US, finally dedicating several summers to the endeavor in order to create this book. The photos are beautiful, captivating, and at times emotional. Accompanying these photos are essays written by the famous (authors such as Ann Pratchett) and not so famous (the bookmobile librarian for a rural system in Nevada). Words and photos work together to capture the history of the public library, what it means to its users, It's transformative power, the current changing climate, and fears for the future. Dawson shows that the library is a vibrant and necessary force for the future of our society as a vehicle for community connection and education. Having read this book during a week when Forbes Magazine published a story suggesting that it would save citizens money to close the libraries and simply rely on Amazon and iTunes, it was encouraging to read that what we do is of value to some people in America, especially those who maybe don't have a voice. I am proud to be a public librarian and take great satisfaction in serving my community. It is refreshing to know that what I do is not in vain and is contributing to the greater good and really IS important. Certainly I will continue to fight for library funding and will never stop encouraging young people to read, learn, and grow. Thank you, Robert Dawson, for giving me a much needed boost during these precarious and uncertain times when the importance of community and learning seems to be disappearing from American society.

No comments:

Post a Comment