Monday, January 13, 2020

Best Books of 2019

The Best Books of 2019
After much reading and musing I have finally compiled my list of what were, in my humble opinion, the best books of 2019. I read primarily middle grade, yet this year more teen books made my list. This may be because I read widely in the category of middle grade, yet only read the "best of the best" in teen. It is also interesting to note that my favorite picture books are all book related. Coincidence? Done with predicting the Newbery or Printz, what follows are my personal favorites.


Picture Books:

Image result for read book kwame cover
Image result for important thing brown mac
How to Read a Book by Kwame Alexander/Melissa Sweet, Illustrator
Kwame Alexander and Melissa Sweet. Need I say more?


The Important Thing about Margaret Wise Brown by Mac Barnett/Sarah Jacoby, Illustrator
Image result for planting stories coverI wasn't sure about a picture book about Margaret Wise Brown, but once I took a look inside its pages, I was hooked. Barnett writes a biographical account of the famous author's life in her style of writing and the illustrations compliment her work. A gem of a book.


Planting Stories:the Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpre by Anika Aldamuy Denise/Paola Escobar, Illustrator

A lushly illustrated biography of a librarian I have always found inspirational. Will kids find it relevant? Not sure, but this librarian loved it!

The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise

Middle Grade:

The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise by Dan Gemeinhart
This book was released early in the year and completely captured my heart. I don't know if it is the raw brokenness of the main characters, the quirky supporting cast, or my fantasy of riding around the country in an old bus that got to me, but I still think about the book and its characters often. My first significant cry of 2019.

Image result for line tender allenLine Tender by Kate Allen
My second significant cry in 2019. This book is beautifully written in a fully realized New England setting with lovable characters. Debut author, Allen, takes the reader on an emotional roller-coaster, all while leaving an environmental message. A story not easily forgotten.
Image result for look both ways reynolds

Look Both Ways by Jason Reynold
Okay, I love Jason Reynolds and may be a bit bias, but I think it may be his year for a win (not that I am making a Newbery prediction). Short stories that interweave to make a cohesive book, Reynolds steps out of his usual style to create a work of art. This book may be a bit too abstract for kids, but the writing is tight, the concept is great, and Reynolds leaves us with some powerful messages.

Image result for queen sea dylanFavorite Graphic Novels:
There were so many great graphic novels to come out of this year. I am hearing a lot of buzz about New Kid by Jerry Craft. This is a great graphic novel, but there were others I loved just as much that are possibly of an even higher caliber:
Pie in the Sky by Lai
Queen of the Sea by Dylan Meconis
This was our Pact by Ryan Andrews
Which was the best if I had to pick one? I would probably have to go with Queen of the Sea, since this is the book I keep thinking about. I fell into the story and the world melted away. Loose plot thread hint at a sequel, which I will eagerly read.

Teen:
Image result for fountains of silence
The Fountains of Silence by Ruth Sepetys
I learned about the Spanish Revolution as I fell into this story of love, grief, and family secrets. More adult than teen, it was beautifully and carefully crafted, leaving a tremendous impact on the reader.

Image result for lovely war berryLovely War by Julie Berry
Image result for on the come upLove this author, love the concept of the story within the story, love the different characters points of view, and love a book set in WWI featuring facets of the war that I knew nothing about. Rich, absorbing, sad, and beautiful. And the cover is my favorite of the year.

On the Come Up by Angie Thomas
I wasn't prepared to enjoy Thomas's sophomore novel as much as I did. I appreciated the flawed, yet relatable protagonist and enjoyed the glimpse into rap culture. I screamed at the main character as she made poor choices and rooted for her success and happiness. I had a hard time putting this book down and it has stayed with me long after I closed its cover.

Image result for slay morrisSlay by Brittany Morris
Another cool cover that commanded my attention and forced me to read the book. Inspired by the movie Black Panther, Morris creates a virtual world where African Americans can interact safely and comfortable. I loved the integration of the real verses the virtual world and Morris gave me a lot of food for thought on many levels. Beyond this, the plot contains a mystery that kept me guessing.
Image result for wolves behind ruby
Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All by Laura Ruby
Ruby writes a beautiful story combing fantasy and historical fiction that was so well written, that I don't think I fully understand it. Yes, parts went over my head, But I still couldn't put it down and appreciated the beautiful writing, interesting plot, and compelling characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment